Friday, December 3, 2010

Frozen, but not forgotten!

I found these in the freezer while I was hunting something else. I think they are at least two years old. They were given to me by DW's aunt who got them from some organic grower across the state line from us. I tossed them in the freezer for desperate times as they had little flavor compared to the small harvest I'd lifted from our own little garlic bed that season.

Desperate times are defined by a lack of good garlic! Like, when all of ours has been eaten or planted, and all our garlic guru's stock has been sold or sown. These are desperate times in deed!

As bland as this garlic was years ago I find the brightly colored wrappers at least interesting. I've read that certain varieties of garlic, like certain wines, take time to fully develop their flavor. These seem to be such, though two years frozen may have helped them along in that regard.

Whatever they are, they are better than anything I can get from a supermarket!

UPDATE! 12/09/10

Duh, I put the culled bulbs from this summer's harvest in the freezer! (Senility steadily eats away!) The good news? Even the frozen, homegrown culls are better than supermarket fresh!

No comments:

Post a Comment