Sunday, December 12, 2010

More noodles!

These egg noodles are so pale compared to the earlier batches. Except for the dough I added a mix of paprika to. I so dislike dull, pale noodles!

I also used a mix of lard and olive oil in the dough with the paprika. I'm curious to see how lard affects texture and taste. If I like the result I can buy fatback and render it easily enough and I use the cracklings in various meals so there is no waste. Fatback is $.99 a pound and 2 pounds looks to make as much lard as to equal 17 ounces of olive oil at $7 or more a bottle!

I know lard is supposed to be unhealthy, but as I'm going to die anyway I intend to enjoy my food until that moment. That, and I'm skeptical of the food industry's pushing vegetable fats as safer than animal ones. As I can't figure out whose telling truths or half truths, I'll follow my grandparents who lived into their 80s and 90s using lard!

No comments:

Post a Comment