Saturday, July 10, 2010

It's been a long day, starting at 5:30 this morning and ending as I finally sat down with a glass of vino at 10:30 this night to consider what I've done. Not much as far as the world's movers and shakers are concerned.

I successfully completed and passed the Hunter Safety Course, not that I hunt, but I needed the certification so I could help teach the Bowhunters Safety Course. Again, not that I hunt, but I see the need to train those that do so they are safe at their sport, respectful of the game they hunt and considerate of those who do not hunt. While I'm no great shakes with a bow, I do enjoy introducing others to the sport, or art, depending on one's view of the bow. I happen to enjoy shooting a "stick & string" self-bow, a modern take-down recurve and a compound bow with a 4x scope I use to pound the centers out of targets when I'm in the groove. I'm not passionate about the bow, I simply enjoy shooting it in it's various forms.

With the safety class behind me, dear wife and I went to a friend's dairy farm to check on the "farm puppies" Rottweiler/Black Lab/German Shepard crosses. Little monsters at 5 or 6 weeks of age. Curious waddling bears just beginning to venture from the safety of their shed into the dangerous work areas where tractors haul equipment back and forth all day and cows lumber about without regard to puppies or much else they can crush with a carelessly made step. Puppies sold off the farm tend to be smart, or they don't survive long enough to be sold.

Hank, 140 pounds of the calmest Rottweiler we've ever seen stands next to DW as his offspring try to decide if his grumblings are for real.

DW holds the biggest of the nine pups. We help socialize them before the farmer begins selling them. We've been asked to help him establish a reputation for healthy, great tempered dogs sold at reasonable prices. To that end we research the breed, help him vaccinate the litters, work with the parents, take care of the feeding when he's away. Remind him that the goal is great dogs, not a fat bank account. As long as he keeps that goal, we'll help out as we can. At the very least, DW will be there to play with each litter as it comes along!

As my day ends (with a good alcohol buzz) I have to wonder, have we accomplished anything useful?

I like to think we've at least taken steps toward usefulness. If my helping teach bowhunting ethics causes just one hunter to pass up a shot he or she is uncertain of, or DW's playing with the puppies readies them for a family with children, well that isn't moving or shaking the world is it? But might it not prevent one deer from being wounded and lost to a miserable death? Or perhaps a well socialized puppy wont harm an untrained child?

No comments:

Post a Comment