Wednesday, July 7, 2010

First serious attempt at garlic

Hanging to dry



A few bulbs for sale

This summer's crop of garlic has inspired me to get a little crazy with next year's garden. I've already placed orders for more than 10 pounds of seed garlic. I'm not going to be able to expand my current garden much more, so I'll be tilling under the wide sod walkways between the beds. Nor will I be able to use the goat litter I'd planned on. Instead I'll have to haul manure from a friend's dairy farm. I'll be gathering straw from there to use as a mulch so making an extra trip or two is no big deal.

I made a couple
ciabatta loaves (sorry I didn't take pictures, we ate the bread too quickly) that would have been great with garlic butter, but were pretty darn good with fried ham and mayo. Now that I've got that particular recipe down pat I'll be building the bread more often and slicing it so I can slather it with garlic butter, sprinkle it with grated parmesan reggiano and slide it under a broiler to toast... A cold glass of homemade mead. Ahhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment